A newborn baby is one of the most amazing creations of Allah SWT. It is also one of the most memorable moments for every parent. However, behind it lies a huge responsibility to be accounted for.
Allah says in the Holy Quran,
“ To Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth. He creates what He wills (and plans). He bestows (children) male or female according to His Will (and Plan), “ (Asy-Syuura 42:49)
“ Or He bestows both males and females, and He leaves barren whom He will: for He is full of Knowledge and Power. “ (Asy-Syuura 42:49)
In Surah, Asy-Syuura has stated that Allah bestows children, either male or female, as a blessing for whom He will. Thus, it is a must for us to be thankful and grateful for all the benefits that Allah has given.
These are the steps to welcome a newborn baby, according to Islam.
- Perform Adhan and Iqamah
– The father needs to perform Adhan at the right ear of the newborn baby and recite Iqamah at the left ear of the newborn baby. The reason behind this is to introduce the purity of a newborn baby of his Creator, Allah SWT. Other than that, it is to protect the baby from the malice of Shaytan.
- Perform Tahnik
– Tahnik is a practice of putting a piece of chewed dates and rub it at the baby’s palate. If you cannot find dates, then you can use other sweets such as honey.
From Abu Musa Al-Asy’ari,
“ My son is a newborn baby, and then I bring him to Rasulullah SAW. After I arrived in front of The Prophet (PBUH), He gave my son a name, Ibrahim. Then He performs Tahnik using dates and begs for the blessings on behalf of my son, and then He returns my son to me. “ (Narrates by Bukhari and Muslim)
- Give the baby a name on the first day or the 7th day.
– It is a Sunnah to give a baby beautiful Islamic names that have significant meanings. It is because the name will be called upon in the day of Judgement.
- Shave the baby’s hair
– Shaving baby’s hair is the symbol of the new life of the newborn baby as a servant of Allah SWT. On the health side, it can clean the remains from the womb.
- Organize an Aqiqah
– Aqiqah is an Ibadah which needs to slaughter animals as a token of gratitude towards Allah SWT for the newborn baby. It is encouraged to do this Ibadah by sacrificing two pair of goats for a boy and one goat for a girl.
- Perform Sujud Al-Syukur
– By performing Sujud Al Syukur, it is a symbol of gratitude towards Allah’s blessings on us all.
From Abu Bakar RA, he says that Rasulullah SAW always perform Sujud Al-Syukur whenever He gets good news from Allah SWT. (Narrates by Abu Dawud)
Always make Syukur to Allah SWT for the newborn baby. Congratulations on the little bundle of joy! May he or she become the most excellent servant of Allah SWT. Hope all of these tips on welcoming new born baby be beneficial for all of us.