Tayammum is an alternative provided by Almighty Allah SWT for His fellow servants in times of need and desperate measures. The desperate measure is based on the absence of water to perform ablution for salah.
According to Syara’, Tayammum is rubbing the face and both arms until reaching the elbow using purified dust and sand following to certain terms and conditions. Tayammum is recognized as the substitution of wudu’ and ghusl (full-body ritual purification for Janaba).
Allah says in the Quran,
“O you who believe! When you intend to offer As-Salat (the prayer), wash your faces and your hands (forearms) up to the elbows, rub (by passing wet hands over) your heads, and (wash) your feet up to ankles. If you are in a state of Janaba (i.e. after a sexual discharge), purify yourselves (bathe your whole body). But if you are ill or on a journey, or any of you comes after answering the call of nature, or you have been in contact with women (i.e. sexual intercourse), and you find no water, then perform tayammum with clean earth and rub therewith your faces and hands. Allah does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you, and to complete His Favour to you that you may be thankful.” (Al-Mai’da 5: 6)
How to perform Tayammum ?
- Tap both hands on the dust or sand for the first time to rub on the face.
- Mentally make niyyah, or intention to perform tayammum.
- Rub on faces.
- Clean the accessive dust and sand from both hands. Make sure there are no sand and dust left on the hands.
- Tap both hands on the dust or sand for the second time to rub on the arms.
- Rub your right arms using your left hand starting from behind the palm and slowly rub it passes the elbow and slowly passes through the thumb. Do not lift your hands while rubbing it.
- Rub your left arm the same way as before.
What are the rules and regulations of Tayammum ?
- Clean up all dirt from the dust and sand.
- Use purified sand and dirt.
- Do not use dust and sand that has been used before.
- Rubbing face and both arms until forearm in two taps. The first tap is for face, and the second tap is for arms.
- Make sure the body is pointing towards the Kiblat (Pointing towards Kaabah).
- Perform tayammum when it is the time to perform daily salah.
- One complete tayammum is just acceptable to perform one fardu prayer and a few sunnah prayers (optional salah).
In conclusion, to perform Tayammum is a blessing from ALLAH to help Muslim to perform ibadah. The way of doing Tayammum also easy and simple to follow.