As a normal being, we are pushed to decide important decisions in our lives. These decisions may affect our life either in the short-term or in a long-term period. Every scenario that happened in our life is based on the decision that we have made from the past. However, in Islam, The Prophet Rasulullah SAW (PBUH) has taught us to believe that Allah SWT is the best decision-maker. In the life of The Prophet SAW (PBUH), he always seeks guidance from Allah SWT through Salat Istikhara to decide in every important situation in his life.
Allah SWT says in the Quran,
وَرَبُّكَ يَخْلُقُ مَا يَشَاءُ وَيَخْتَارُ ۗ مَا كَانَ لَهُمُ الْخِيَرَةُ ۚ سُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ وَتَعَالَىٰ عَمَّا يُشْرِكُونَ 68القصص
“ Thy Lord does create and choose as He pleases: no choice have they (in the matter): Glory to Allah. and far is He above the partners they ascribe (to Him)! “ (Al-Qasas 28:68)
The definition of Al-Istikhara is to ‘ask for the best’ from Allah SWT in every situation in our life. This is to nurture our hearts and strengthen our inner belief to always rely on Allah SWT in every way of life.
According to Saa’d, The Prophet Rasulullah SAW (PBUH) said, “ One of the true happiness for the son of Adam is the ones who always perform Al-Istikharah to Allah SWT and the ones who always happy with Allah’s decision. And the destruction of the son of Adam is the ones who neglect Al-Istikharah to Allah SWT and the ones who did not feel satisfied with Allah’s decision. “ (Narrated by Imam Tarmizi)
What are the guidelines to perform Salat Al-Istikhara ?
Step 1 : Find the best time to perform Salat Al-Istikhara .
- Although Salat Al-Istikhara can be done anytime, Imam Abdul Al-Wahab Al-Sha’rani and Sheikh Ibnu Al-Arabi had suggested that it is most likely to perform in the Dhuha period which is after the fajr until before noon. They insisted on it because the Dhuha period is the most blessed period of the day. Also, it is suggested to perform Salat Al-Istikhara in the third quarter of the night, which is during Qiamullail. Another time is to perform Al-Istikhara before getting to sleep. Because some of the answers are visioned in the form of dreams. Wallahualam.
Step 2 : Perform Salat Al-Istikharah.
Mentally make niyyah, or intention to perform Salat Al-Istikhara.
“ I hereby pray Salat Sunnah Al-Istikhara, 2 rakat’ain for Allah SWT ”
- First rakat’ain, read Surah Al-Fatihah and Surah Al-Kafirun
- Second rakat’ain, read Surah Al-Fatihah and Surau Al-Ikhlas
- On the last Sujud, request upon Allah whatever you desire. Sincere your heart, and In Shaa Allah, Allah will hear whatever your heart speaks.
- After you finished praying, you can choose any decision which comes first in your mind.
Don’t hesitate on Allah’s decisions. He knows what is best for you. Wallahualam. May this benefit you fellow readers, In Shaa Allah.